Saturday, September 18, 2010

Pine Nut Warning

This past week I made basil pesto.  A staple in our freezer during the winter months to mix with hot pasta dishes.  Nothing says summer sunshine on a cold blustery day better than pesto.  Now my four half pints have been dumped in the trash.  Why?  Because of pine mouth!  Last night I had a piece of toasted bread with peanut butter before bed.  For some reason I thought the bread might be tainted as it left a very bitter taste in my mouth.  Again, this morning I had a piece of cinnamon toast and complained about the bread.  I could not get the bitter-medicine taste to go away.  A computer search with the phrase, "bitter taste in mouth after eating" gave the typical medical problems such as diabetes and liver ailments as possible culprits.  Numerous links to articles attributing having eaten small pine nuts from China, Korea or Vietnam were also displayed.  Funny!  I had just made and eaten pine nut laden pesto the day before I got pine mouth.

My package of pine nuts was purchased at Trader Joes.  I do remember reading something about the countries of origin being perhaps Korea or Vietnam.  And ..  thinking back, I tried to buy pine nuts at Costco earlier this year with no such luck.  The pine nuts didn't smell rancid .. but they were a little darker in color than the larger variety I normally buy. 

If you eat pine nuts, please check out some of the links to see for yourself.  Please don't take a chance and end up with pine mouth ... it could take several weeks to go away!

Pine Mouth Puzzle
Bitter Taste ... Caused By Pine Nuts?
Risks Of Eating Pine Nuts
More Nuts
Emergency Medicine, Taste Disturbances