Saturday, January 2, 2010

This year I'm going to set a goal of drastically reducing the amount of ready made pantry items I purchase. Obviously, there are staples such as flour, milk, eggs, olive oil, etc. that I can not make myself. But gone will be ready made crackers, cereals, cookies ... and much more. I have been practicing this goal for the past three or four months. Even with the holidays, I found ways to cut back ... less baking, making recipes from scratch (just where did that phrase originate?;) And I will take planting my garden more seriously with great planning strategy to produce more in the space I have plotted. This will be my third year of planting a veggie garden ... still a novice ... but with a better grip on what is involved. Below is a list of practices I hope to employ:

  • never take my hungry children grocery shopping
  • take my own reusable grocery bags WITH me instead of leaving them at home or in the car trunk
  • grow, can, preserve, freeze enough food to last from summer to summer
  • purchase no out of season ... grown out of country produce
  • buy local and organic when possible
  • buy only local farm meats (Thanks to watching the movie Food, Inc.;)
  • use my crock pot more often
  • plant only open pollinated, organic, heirloom veggie seeds
  • use no toxic products in the garden or for cleaning purposes
This should be a good start for the new year.