Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Fresh Horseradish

... is so delish!  Last week I made a trade with a neighbor for some horseradish root.  The root I received was beautiful ... if a dirt encrusted root could be pretty.  The specimen was quite a nice size and had enough to snap off a good sized root with plenty to spare and get replanted.  As a young child my grandparents served the pungent beauty with most Sunday meals ... no one ever 'made' me try it ... I just decided one day to eat some and have never regretted doing so. 

After cleaning the root, I peeled it with a veggie peeler and soaked it in ice water until I figured out what to do with it. It was then grated on a micro-plane grater and a I added a 1/2 tsp. rice vinegar and 1/2 tsp water, a tiny pinch of sugar and salt.  I CAN'T WAIT for tonight's BBQ'd steaks. 

How to prepare horseradish