Monday, March 8, 2010

Grocery Challenge Update

This is more of a personal challenge (instead of a group effort) to cut down on our grocery bill.  But ... it is rather a good exercise of frugality using up our current food supply ... doing without everything we think is necessary ... and adapting recipes to fit what we have on hand.  Our loot this week includes:
  • One gallon of whole un-homogenized milk
  • Two pounds of butter*
  • One rutabaga*
  • A large onion*
  • (1) avocado*
  • A dozen eggs* (from my neighborhood egg man that lives down the street not in my HOA;)
  • Wedge of smoked natural cheddar cheese (a splurge;)
  • Colombian coffee*
  • garlic*
  • bananas
  • apples*
  • lettuce*
  • cucumber*
  • tangerines
  • corned beef**
  • brick of raw milk natural cheddar*
  • package of sliced provolone cheese*
  • one bottle Kombucha (fermented beverage)*
  • ginger brew*  (alcohol free I think;)
  • pumpkin seeds*
  • wheat gluten*
  • caraway seed*s (for my special recipe bread that I will share one of these days)
  • two bags kettle chips**
  • a gallon of Kirkland liquid dish soap
  • two pounds of Yukon gold potatoes*
* = organic product
**= purchased  by darling daughter with my money at Sprawlmart

Shopping this way sure could start hurting Sprawlmart's business.  From what I've been seeing on a lot of blogs, people are eating more whole foods and cutting out processed junk.  Sorry big ag-business .. but your day to shine is OVER!  Families are taking back their health by cutting out the junk that has been peddled by the Pied Piper under the guise of subsidized corn and soy growers. OK, I'm off my soapbox.  [Total cost = $92, leaving $8 to last the remainder of the week]